Get and manage accounts
To publish and manage datasets on data.gov.uk you must have an administrator (admin) or editor account.
Each account is associated with an organisation responsible for the dataset. For example, a local authority or central government department.
Editors and admins can both create and edit datasets, but admins can also:
- add and remove editors
- manage editors’ activity
- update information about their organisation(s)
Editors and admins can join multiple organisations.
Get an account
To get an account you can ask an existing editor or admin to invite you or register for an account.
Register for an account
If you can’t find an existing member to invite you, you can register for an account.
When completing the form, state whether you need editor or admin permissions.
You’ll then be able to add and manage datasets on data.gov.uk.
Add or remove editors and admins
An organisation can have multiple editors and admins.
You can add additional editors or admins to an organisation via the Data Publisher. You must have an admin account for that organisation.
- Go to the Publishers tab.
- Go to the name of the organisation, then Manage > Members > Add member.
- Add the email address of the user you want to add.
- Choose whether you want the user to be an editor or an admin.
- Select Add Member and add the user’s government email address.
- Select Add.
The recipient will receive email instructions on setting up an account.
To remove a user, follow steps 1 and 2. Then select the button with the cross next to their name to remove their permissions.
Create or edit an organisation
To create a new organisation, contact the data.gov.uk team.
Only admins can edit information about an existing organisation.
To edit organisation details you must have an admin account and sign into that account.
- Select Publishers.
- Select the organisation you want to edit.
- Select About.
- Select Manage.
- Amend the information you want to change.
- Select Update Publisher.